Re: Jake

Nancy A. Schmall ( (no email) )
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:51:10 -0600 (CST)

Thank you so much, Laurie! Having the support in this group of folks like
yourself really helps when we go through these hard times. Nancy

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Laurie Davis wrote:

> Nancy,
> You and Jake are in my prayers. He's come through rough times before. He
> strong and determined. Lots of love and healing vibes your way.
> Laurie
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nancy A. Schmall <>
> To: <>
> Cc: <>
> Date: Thursday, February 11, 1999 11:04 AM
> Subject: Re: Jake
> >Hi all,
> >Thank you so much for your kind messages of thoughts and prayers! They
> >are so important to me and help me through these bad times.
> >
> >As you know, we took Jake to an oncologist/internist in Tulsa yesterday.
> >She did a chest x-ray and ultra-sound. Her conclusions were these
> >regarding his aggressiveness (and more or less, his lethargy): 1) from the
> >ultra-sound it looked to her
> >like when his platelets were real low, blood may have leaked into his
> >bladder causing pain--he *had* a urinalysis a couple weeks ago,and my vet
> >found nothing. The internist said she'd talk to my vet about possibly
> >repeating the test--until then I could use Hills C/D diet even though if
> >they found some different crystals in the urine, it might mean a different
> >diet. The C/D wouldn't hurt, but it may not help; (2) behavior problems
> >stemming from being pilled twice each day, and going to the vet monthly
> >for immunoregulin shots--he may just have *had* it; (3) a brain tumor
> >which could be detected by a catscan which could be done by a neurologist
> >in Missouri. If it's a brain tumor, it could probably be removed
> >surgically. This option I've completely ruled out. I won't subject Jake
> >to the stress of even going to a neurologist, much less having surgery.
> >If he were otherwise healthy, I would probably do it, but with his low
> >platelets . . . the way it is, we'll be lucky to have him around many more
> >months. She did say if the aggression continues, we could try feliway or
> >something else.
> >
> >With all this, I decided to switch to C/D and start feeding Jake Iam's wet
> >food and mix in home-made protein (chicken, egg, yolks, liver, etc). I
> >also decided to cut back to once a day medicine and only the necessary
> >stuff with *one* another item (right now it's vit.c. and thymus in one
> >capsule). I won't bring him in to have monthly immunoregulin shots unless
> >his mood improves. I'll try subq at home *if* it doesn't stress him to
> >give him a shot (I have my doubts).
> >
> >I'm subtly trying to work healthy things that he will eat and drink into
> >his diet, i.e. putting aloe vera juice into the water, mixing his
> >interferon with liver, which he loves (making sure it's only 10% of his
> >diet).
> >
> >He'll have to stay on the prednisone, which I hate--but he'll bleed to
> >death if he doesn't. I've read where giving it every other day does less
> >to suppress his immunity. I'm going to check with the vet and see if we
> >could give a double dose every other day. Perhaps a miracle will happen,
> >and eventually we can lower the dosage.
> >
> >Sorry to make this so long. Any suggestions/input would be really
> >appreciated. Nancy
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Make your own free website on